This post is a mea culpa written as self-criticism.
Honestly, I’m baffled by my own behavior.
Hours. Days. Months. Years. An absurd amount of time and energy spent creating
posts for platforms that IMHO, deep down, give a fuck about music (not my music, but
the music itself). There I was, playing my part through authoritative dos and don'ts and churning out images,
carousels, vertical videos, captions, tags, and all the paraphernalia needed to
try and grab the attention of people who, most of the time, were there for
practically anything except listening to music made by real people (with the normalization of AI-generated music, the whole thing has become much more difficult).
And me? I was happily playing along with the circus act. A sort of digital court
jester, working for free to feed a very well designed scheme to keep me logged as long as
possible, offering up tiny doses of validation in the form of little hearts,
likes, views, and numbers. And there I was, acting like an idiot, treating those
numbers as if they were some kind of proof of relevance.
"How many new likes?"
"How many new followers?"
"How many views?"
"Did the algorithm give it a boost?"

As if music could be measured that way. As if a song needed to win some sort of
popularity contest to have value. The most annoying part is that it took me
years to realize something so obvious. It is worth noting that there are
platforms dedicated solely to music, though unfortunately, they too have bought
into this game of validating work through follower counts and likes. There is a well-known video platform that follows the same path. This whole shit made people latch onto the numbers instead of the content.
Fortunately, there are platforms where music is still treated as music, rather
than just another excuse to generate engagement, retention, clicks, and numbers.
Unfortunately, there are very few of them. And that is exactly where I need to
be. Perhaps the biggest waste wasn't the time spent creating content; it was the
time spent trying to please the wrong game.
I wasn't promoting my music. I was trying to please the algorithm. And there is a
huge difference between the two. Now that I’ve finally realized this, it’s hard
not to look back and think: "damn! how did I fall for that for so long?"
By the way: I uninstalled the apps from my phone and deactivated my accounts on
those platforms (except the video one). I most likely won't be returning. No one there will care.
★
MUSIC WEEK ★
ARI'S TAKE ★
DIGITAL MUSIC NEWS
★
FAC ★
RECORD OF THE DAY ★
★ RN BLOG ★
CYBER PR ★
LEFSETZ LETTER ★
ACOUSTIC GUITAR ★
DIY MUSICIAN
★
SPOTIFY BLOG ★
MUSIC 3.0 ★
★
MUSIC INDUSTRY HOW TO ★
SOUNDCLOUD BLOG ★
MTT ★
BANDCAMP DAILY ★